Position: Senior Due Diligence Energy Strategist
Location: Denver, CO Headquarters (Hybrid) or Alexandria, VA (Hybrid)
Tract is a team of digital infrastructure experts dedicated to accelerating responsible data center growth by developing master-planned data center parks with access to pre-positioned power and fiber in key markets where hyperscale and wholesale demand is going. Our approach is collaborative with cities and counties to ensure development is targeted for the optimal locations to maximize the revenue and economic development benefits for the community while being good stewards of the land and minimizing the impact on neighbors. Tract is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with real estate holdings throughout the United States.
Tract is seeking a Senior Due Diligence Energy Strategist to join our Energy team. In this pivotal role, you’ll be at the forefront of powering next-gen cloud and AI data centers while influencing the evolution of the energy grid. Your mission? Lead strategic collaborations with the Tract Land Strategy Team, electric utilities, RTOs, energy suppliers, and energy enablers to pinpoint energy markets and qualify sites tailored to Tract’s expansive U.S. portfolio.
With your expertise, you’ll orchestrate the synergy of internal and external resources to determine the preliminary scope, schedule, and budget for large power projects during the due diligence phase of the land development life cycle. Working with us means embracing daily shifts from strategic thinking to hands-on execution in a nimble, entrepreneurial environment. If you’re ready to shape the future of energy and data centers, Tract is the place to be. Join us and make your mark on the industry.
Key Responsibilities will include:
· Coordinate with the Land Strategy Team on initial market / utility screens for generation and transmission capacity.
· Qualify sites that meet Tract’s needs from a power perspective.
· Establish early state relationship management by identifying appropriate resources within each utility for Tract to engage with at various process steps.
· Map and maintain an organization / stakeholder chart for each utility Tract engages.
· Understand and document utilities’ power delivery process (from application submission to energization) and timelines.
o Document and update utility processes for assessing the viability of large loads, system impacts, facility impacts, and commercial constructs for reservation/procurement.
· Collaborate with Tract SMEs to prepare and submit RFIs to utilities.
· Understand and document rates available to large power users.
· Serve as the power team’s center of excellence on comparative utility analysis.
· Support Tract Power Team with utility engagement on details of system impact, design, costs, and timing of projects.
Required Experience Qualifications:
The successful candidate will have strategic experience and practical expertise in the following:
· 7 to 10 years of demonstrated experience siting substation and/or transmission infrastructure.
· Demonstrated success in writing and delivering due diligence reports for future substation and/or transmission projects for utilities, owner’s engineers, and/or EPC vendors.
· Track record of successfully collaborating with electrical utilities to plan HV infrastructure.
· Demonstrated expertise in collaborating with real estate, economic development, and/or public policy stakeholders to qualify sites for transmission or substation projects.
· Ability to translate technical engineering concepts to executives, potential investors, and/or Board members.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
· Transmission planning, substation engineering, or high voltage project management experience.
· Demonstrated understanding of utility markets and electric utility development.
· Deep influence and competence in at least one of Tract’s primary markets.
Education, Professional Certification and Licensure:
· B.S. degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Power Engineering, Economic Development, or a related field.
· Ability to maintain focus in a fast-paced work environment.
· Detail-oriented mindset with a commitment to accuracy and delivering high-quality work.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively collaborate with team members and stakeholders.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team, managing multiple tasks and meeting multiple deadlines.
Location and Travel:
· Work location is flexible to Denver, CO, or Alexandria, VA
· Regular travel (25%) with the site selection team to assess sites and meet with local authorities and utility leaders in support of projects.
Expected Salary Range: $165,000-$195,000 plus Bonus.
Tract employees enjoy competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including 100% employer-covered medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401K program, standard paid holidays, and unlimited PTO.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the organization’s ongoing needs.
Tract is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance applying for any of our open positions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.